Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Time is up, put down your pencils...

Well, we have reached the end of the poetry contest. I think I told some people they had till the end of the month, but really they were supposed to be in by the end of August so I don't feel too bad. Below are the poems that I received, in no particular order, sans author. To the right is a place to vote for your favorite one. Easy peasy :) Also, check facebook because there will be a place to vote on there as well = more votes! Happy hunting.

#1

Death, despair, destruction, fear await at every hand
Weary souls, once strong and whole, lay strewn across the land.
Anguished cries of heartache rise to meet the darkening sky.
And all around, on blood-stained ground, the wounded wait to die.

How did the mighty warriors fall? These strong and valiant men
Fighting for a common goal, their freedom to defend?
What caused them all to stumble, fall, and lose the precious prize?
What small mistake did each one make that brought their swift demise?

Their armor lies in tatters, scattered 'cross the wasted land.
The warriors fought, but none had thought to check ere they began
The very thing that would protect their fragile mortal frame
From fiery darts thrown at weak hearts when fearsome armies came.

I find a quiet, peaceful place where I can go to hide
and carefully and prayerfully examine every side
Of my armor that no harm or misadventure may befall
As I bravely and courageously accept my Master's call.

I polish dulling armor, scrape off rust and make it shine.
I tighten weakened bindings, make them strong and fast and fine.
As I put on the whole armor and I sharpen dulling sword
I become a stronger warrior in the Army of the Lord.

#2

The Armor of God
A warrior I will stand,
I’ll lift my heart to heaven and rejoice,
For my loins are girt with truth,
And spirit gives my trembling sword a voice.
This breastplate that I bear,
With righteousness and honor has been sealed;
I wear salvation’s crown,
A humble heart and mind with virtue filled.
My feet, in gospel peace,
Were angel-shod before the world began
And thus behind faith’s shield,
A strong and mighty warrior I can stand.
For Satan’s fiery darts,
His whirlwind that swirls shafts of doubt
Can’t penetrate the soul
Where God’s armor has been safely gird about.

#3


I’m too weak to be a great warrior I know but through Christ all my efforts increase.
Paul told the Philippians in 4:13 that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthenth me.”
I believe this is true so I try every day to win the great battle in very small ways.
It begins with the alarm going off, another day is beginning. The battle I fight each day, hopefully winning. Will I start today with a Scripture and Prayer to remind me where my strength is found?
Will I be patient when my children need me, or will the battle be lost in that one small moment when I yell at the child, so innocent and humble that I don’t want to be bothered with them at that moment?
Will I gather my family to read and to pray or is the TV more important today?
Will I go to the Temple or find an excuse when really there are so many things to do.
I’ve decided it’s not a grand battle I fight, its little decisions made every day to follow the Savior and trust in his way.
It’s going to church and Relief Society meetings, and doing my Visiting Teaching and callings or taking the time to talk to a neighbor or getting to know someone better.
There are so many choices to be made every day and I know that ones that I make right through Christ will increase.

#4

When evil reigns and dark
rearing forth its ugly head
in place of hope and love instead
a cold and shrivelled heart
and loneliness and hate
replace a warm, inviting home
and all is lost, it seems, or gone
and good is in retreat...
but wait. A glimpse, a path
a tiny light that penetrates
the darkest night, illuminates
the warriors against satan's wrath.
Though the battle rages on
and our bodies, caked in mud,
are fainting for the loss of blood
we must rise to fight again
for the power that He gives us
is greater than the darkness
the hopeless, cold, and heartless
and we know that He is with us.


(ps. if you sent me a poem and I didn't get it on here, let me know)

5 comments:

Elsie said...

I love them all. I am just not going to vote. They all make me cry. Good for us all. It was a wonderful thing to think about the things that can make us and our families stronger. I vote that we put them all together in a book along with the last ones we wrote and the next ones we'll write. It might be interesting to do essays sometime instead of poetry. Good work to everyone. Thanks Robert for the encouragement.

Robert said...

I've thought about doing that, I would like to get some more involvement however. We'll have another one in a few months, if everyone would start thinking of possible themes or whatever. Thanks to those that sent in poems :) and those that voted, or will vote!

Elsie said...

I really like writing poetry at Christmas. It helps me to focus on the real meaning. Perhaps we could do something like "Wise men seek Him still" or just a general Christmas poem and encourage the kids to write their thoughts about Christmas too. Don't know - just brainstorming.

Heather said...

I like that theme..."Wise men seek him still..." Let's do that one!

Elsie said...

So when are you going to tell us who wrote them?