Friday, June 11, 2010

Somehow I missed May

Hey, it's good to be back. Not much going on right now: still working, practicing the guitar from time to time, napping, watching movies etc. I made a new friend this past week. Her name is Reta. She is actually my roomie's friend and now lives in the apartment above us. She's really nice though. She invited me to go gardening with her and some people from her ward. I don't know how she talked me into it actually. It was a service project for a lady in their ward to plant her garden for her, and in return we could use some of the land to plant our own veggies. Well, the other two people that showed up had to leave right away, some type of miscommunication, so Reta and I set to work turning the dirt with shovels and pulling the weeds. We spent a good hour or so. We talked in Spanish, because she wants to learn spanish. She was actually surprisingly really good at it. Anyways, back to the point. So while we were gardening she mentioned that it was probably too late and the plants wouldn't grow, so I says that I'll never weed a garden that doesn't have veggies growing in it and it made me think about life how sometimes we need to stop weeding the gardens that aren't producing any fruit. In my case, for example, there are two girls that I like, both of whom, for one reason or another are unavailable to me, at least for now. But you wouldn't believe the amount of mental energy I spend just adoring these girls. Time to move on to greener pastures.
Likewise I know people that spend all their days sowing and dunging and pruning but are either having too much fun or are hoping for bigger fruits and completely forget they need to reap. That's human nature I think: you go gambling you just want to win 1 more dollar, you buy stocks you hold on to em hoping they'll just keep going up. I get caught up in this all the time. It doesn't matter how good I live my life or how well I tend that garden, if I never plant any seeds I'll never reap any fruit.
I made a program recently to help me learn names and faces of people in my ward. It works pretty well, I'd say. Pretty basic really, just flash cards with multiple choice. I love being an assistant clerk for this too. I get to meet almost every new person that comes into the ward, and I love the look of surprise on people's faces when I come up to them a week later and say "you're so n so, right?" Every chance I get, when I'm standing by someone I know and see someone I don't know I'll ask them who it is. It has been really rewarding emotionally to be able to connect with 30 different people, even for just a brief moment. This is one area I've really struggled in in this ward because there are so many faces that change so very often. I also wondered how I could possibly magnify my calling, I mean counting people is just counting people, turning in numbers is just turning in numbers etc so I figured this would be a good way I could stretch myself in this calling.
Alright, I think that's enough for now. Geez, I don't know why you're still reading, honestly. We need to have another poetry topic... maybe mad gab poetry. hmmm. Half an iced hay!

8 comments:

Elsie said...

Great post. I love the analogy - actually I've always loved the analogy of gardening and life. I think that's why the prophet says to plant a garden. You have a nice day too.

Anonymous said...

I saw "ice" and totally didn't even notice you used "half" instead of "have". I agree with mom, gardening is a good analogy. Sometimes though we forget that plants take time to grow. It takes forever to get them out of the ground and several other forevers before you see any fruit (or veggies) But yeah, it may not be worth weeding and tending a garden that you aren't growing anything in. I think the major problem isn't planting seeds or reaping fruit, you have to get out and do the **** work. You have to plow, you have to dig furrows. Admiring a girl is great but if she never knows it you're out of luck. It's just as easy to ask a girl out before you know her name as it is to ask her out after you've known her awhile, maybe even easier depending on the prior relationship. Get your hands dirty! Work the soil! Seize the day! You'll never get today back again. It may be too late in the season to plant but it will be even later tomorrow. Forget what other people tell you, even me, you do what's best for you. Our opinion of which girl and when mean nothing to you, should mean nothing to you. In fact the girl you should hook up with is the one you don't tell anyone about. I'll get off my soapbox, but I'd sure like to see you gardening. If you need help, ask. If you want us to butt out tell us to butt out. Nalli

Heather said...

I love your idea about magnifying your calling. What a wonderful idea! Even in my ward that I've lived in for ten years, there are still people that I don't know. I'd bet in a singles ward it would be even harder. I'm proud of you for finding a way to magnify your calling and stretch yourself a little bit more every day! You are an amazing inspiration to me! :) Love ya! ~mazother

Elsie said...

We know so few people in the ward here - I sure do miss the good old Riverton 8th ward days when we just knew everyone. But, yeah, maybe I need to make a more concerted effort to get to know people - I could start by attending the addition RS meetings.

James said...

I always forget the part about fertilizer in gardening and life. Sometimes you need to get through some dung, before the sweetness of the fruit can be tasted. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a comment but the secret word was "REBURVI" so I figured I had to comment.

Robert said...

Same here Russ, but the word is "scalicat"

Misty Moncur said...

Was that upbeat comment really from Russ?