Monday, December 29, 2008

Just feels like a sad day

I just feel sad today. I don't even have a second sentence to add to that. I don't have a reason to be sad.

I have a hole in my life.
Can you see it?
There, in the middle,
Surrounded by all that I know I am
Or think I am
This hole yearns for something
but won't tell me
A voiceless void
Can you hear it?
I fill it with food
with work, with play
with clothes and gadgets
...with memories.
It just laughs a parent-to-child laugh
a that-will-never-work laugh.
and I'm left to move on
to dance to the whistles
as the wind blows through the hole in my life.
Can you hear it?

I always hated free verse. It always seemed like mental constipation. The soul strains and groans to get out a productive thought and all that comes out is free verse. But it'll have to do, cuz I'm sad today. I have no reason to be sad... no reason at all

6 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, Rob! I'm not a real fan of free verse either, but that really works for me. I understand! Thanks for sharing. I think this time of the year it's hard NOT to be sad. The weather and the stress of the season and the lack of sunshine can get anyone feeling sad!

Heather said...

Did you write the poem?

Elsie said...

Wow! You should feel sad more often - that's a great poem. I have come to enjoy free verse - sometimes it's the best way to capture what you feel - sadness for instance is not precise or predictable, you can't tell where it's going next it just pulls you here and there until you work your way through - like free verse (extreme joy or happiness is kind of the same for that matter.) Anyway Heather's right - 'tis the season to just feel sad that's why the created New Year's eve so we can mask those feelings with food and party hats and confetti and streamers etc. etc.

Robert said...

I did write it, as I was typing it actually. Mostly I couldn't think of anything to write about... and part of it was because it was late.

Anonymous said...

I like the part about the whistling sound created by the wind blowing through the hole in your life. Wow! I mean seriously, that's Frost, with whom you share a first name. Mulgedo

Misty Moncur said...

I enjoy free verse BECAUSE it lets you put your own form into it. It allows you to emphasize important words or phrases, where your standard ABCB stanza doesn't unless you are, of course, Robert Frost, which you, of course, are only half of. I find that almost none of my thoughts or feelings fall into a true AB pattern, but that doesn't mean they can't be organized. In fact, many poets, Frost included, have noted that it can be more difficult to write a good free verse poem. Anyway, great poem. Keep writing, no matter what it comes out like; it's all valid.